What an interesting week we have had! Porse – Messy Play are in this morning painting up a storm with cars and fly swats, Deb’s Wonderplay Drama Classes are a real hit, and we had Music Time with Rose and Fe start up on Wednesday morning! Talk about lively!
Every Thursday from about 11am, Shayne and Nia come over for their weekly working bee in the garden. They have just pruned back the Cape gooseberry bushes which should start to come alive and produce fruit for next winter. You can find out more about the Cape gooseberry here. Come along and join us in the garden if you are interested! We usually have a tea or coffee with the English Conversation club afterwards!
This coming week at the centre:
• A local artist is interested in holding Driftwood Carving classes each week at the centre. If you are interested let me know and we can start up the sessions. We are looking at starting these up on Mondays from 1.30 – 3pm from the 2nd September.
• Joe Ryan is starting up Short Fiction Workshops at the centre every Thursday from 3–4.30pm starting from September 26. Stories are all around us, and help us make sense of the world. They can be therapeutic, and just plain fun to create. They help us explore fantastic worlds and connect us with our imagination in beautiful ways. Stories are a great art form to learn in Life. They are used everywhere: music, poetry, film, video games, novels, plays, and more. They surround us and are a fundamental part of us each night when we dream. Everyone has a story to tell, the only question is - what is your story? Although the workshop is free, please bring $1 per visit to help pay for the room, and tea and coffee. Sign up by contacting Joe by email - J.E.Ryan@live.com or by phone - 020 401 16178
• Kardio Karate is up and running! Tuesdays - 1.05-1.35pm, also Karate Stretch from 1.40-2.10pm. Kardio Karate (burn that fat and get fit hitting pads, no previous experience needed) and Karate Stretch (gentle body toning and stretch class) contact Patricia on 3839371 or 027 297 6049 to book your place now.
• Music Time with Rose and Fe has started up from 10am on Wednesdays in the hall. Singing, games, music and fun for kids and parents! Contact Rose (021 263 5769) or Fe (021 1466 209) for more information.
• English Conversation Club is on every Thursday from 11.30am – 12.30pm. Come along and practice speaking English in a comfortable, social environment. Open to all ages and abilities – even native English speakers who want to meet new people, learn about other cultures and help people with their English. $1 per person. There is also a Social English session happening at Kilbirnie library on Mondays at 11am, and Newtown Library on Wednesdays at 11am.
• Selwyn Gracegirdle will be presenting a talk on “Seashells – a lifetime hobby” for this weeks U3A Discussion group, Thursday 22 August from 1.30pm.
• Wonderplay drama classes have started up on Wednesdays and Thursdays during the school term. Wonderplay drama classes teach performance skills through the use of games, activities and exercises that also help with the development of essential life skills such as problem-solving abilities, social skills, leadership and team work as well as co-ordination and motoring skills. After-school classes in Island Bay. For more information contact Deborah 021-172-2836 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for an enrolment pack and a voucher to try the first lesson free of charge.
- 2-4 year olds – Wednesdays 3.15–4.15pm
- Young Actor classes (12–17 yrs) – Wednesdays 5.15–6.15pm
- 5-8 year olds – Thursdays 3.30–4.30pm
- 9-12 year olds – Thursdays 4.45–5.45pm
• Carolyn McKeefry Dance Academy – Island Bay has started up the Dance Exercise classes for mature women every Friday from 11am. Classes include strengthening, building core stability, flexibility, and some ballet technique. No experience necessary. Come on down and have a go!
Local Community Notices
• ISLAND BAY ART AUCTION will be held this year on Friday 23rd August at Island Bay School 6 Tamar Street. Doors open at 7pm with the Live Auction starting at 8.20. From glass engraving to a hand crafted guitar, contemporary jewellery to oil painting... The Island Bay Art Auction will have a cross spectrum of style and approach to various media. The MC for the evening is Don Luchito, DJ from radio active who along with their artisan beer and wine and tasty nibbles will ensure you enjoy yourself to the max. Check out their Facebook page "Island Bay Art Auction" and look for the silent auction on Trade Me starting Friday 16th.
• Do you like to bike? Have your say on the future of riding in Island Bay.
Do you ride your bike from Island Bay to the city? Or would you like to ride but are worried about traffic? We want to hear from you!
We have a great opportunity to improve cycling around Island Bay and the route to the city. WCC is planning to improve transport links to the city. No decisions have been made yet. We want to start a discussion now and need your input. Come along to a public meeting from 7pm - 8.30pm on Wednesday 21 August, at the Baptist Church, 284 The Parade. Contact: Patrick Morgan - email@example.com; Facebook: Island Bay Cycle way public meeting
• Do you have room in your home and heart to support a lady who would love to live in Island Bay? You will have the privilege of seeing them develop and grow with your support. IDEA services will provide training and reimbursement. Please go to www.youcancare.org.nz and click on vacancies or call Jan (04) 463 2472, or (027) 271 9456, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.